Douglas Rothrock, MD
Dr. Douglas Rothrock is board certified in Cardiovascular Medicine and Internal Medicine, and is Board Eligible in Interventional Cardiology, Electrophysiology, and Sleep Medicine.
Dr. Rothrock co-owns Prescott Cardiology, which he established in 1998, and he co-owns The Heart Shop, which is also in Prescott. Additionally, he serves as the Ideal Protein of America® Senior National Medical Consultant.
Dr. Rothrock graduated from the University of Oregon School of Medicine in 1978. He completed post-graduate training in Cardiovascular Medicine at the Oregon Health Sciences Center, and was granted Fellowship in 1981. He became a Diplomat with the American Board in Internal Medicine in 1981. Dr. Rothrock also completed a Metabolic Fellowship while in Oregon. From 1981 to 1982, Dr. Rothrock worked as a Research Fellow on a NIH-sponsored grant at the Oregon Health Sciences Center. His research affiliations include serving as co-Investigator in the NHLBI Study Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial and the Local Director of the OHI Trial of TPA versus Streptokinase. He served as Gusto II and III co-investigator in the RF Ablation of Atrial Flutter and Ventricular Tachycardia, Intermedics “Rescue AICD” Protocol, and Azimilide in SVT.
From 1983 to 1984, Dr. Rothrock was an Instructor of Medicine at the Oregon Health Sciences Center, and from 1984 to 1987 he was a clinical assistant professor at this same facility. In 1990, Dr. Rothrock completed a special fellowship in Elecrophysiology at the Oregon Health Sciences Center. Thereafter, he went into private practice. Dr. Rothrock has spent the last 25 years of his career working as an interventional cardiologist in California, Oregon, and Prescott, Arizona, where he currently resides.
Dr. Rothrock has published many papers, including:
1. “Reduction of Plasma Lipids, Lipoproteins, and Apoproteins by Dietary Fish Oil in Patients with Hypertriglyceridemia” (New England Journal of Medicine 1985, 312; 1210-1216
2. “The Comparative Effects of Dietary Fish Oils versus Vegetable Oils in Normals and Hyperlipidemic Subjects” (Abstract Presented at the 55th American Heart Association Meeting)
3. “Intraarterial Signal Average ECG” (Abstract – 1989 American Heart Association Meeting)
4. “The Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acides in the Treatment of Type V and Type IIB”
Dr. Rothrock completed the following presentations:
1. “Complex MI” – Abstract Presentation at the 55th American Heart Association Meeting in 1982
2. “Complex MI” – Oregon Critical Care Nurses Association
3. “Brady Arrhythmias” – Paramedical Training Program at Oregon Health Sciences University
4. “Shock” – Oregon Critical Care Nurses Annual Meeting, 1984 and 1985
5. “TPA versus Streptokinase in Thrombolytic Therapy” – Oregon Academy of Physicians, 1988
6. “Atrial Fibrillation” – Grand Rounds at Mercy San Juan Hospital, 1995-1996
Dr. Rothrock currently presents internationally for Ideal Protein. His presentations include the following topics:
1. “Biochemistry Fun Facts”
2. “Integrating the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Clinic with the Existing Medical Practice”
3. Dr. Rothrock participates in a monthly clinic call conducted throughout the U.S. and Canada, wherein he, with a panel of medical professionals, answers questions from Ideal Protein clinic owners
Dr. Rothrock is currently working on the following papers:
5. “Dose Response of Dietary of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Hyperlipidemic Patients”
6. “Mechanism of Action of Omega-3 Fatty Acid by VLDL Turnover Studies”
Dr. Rothrock was awarded the Best Speaker Award three times from the Oregon Critical Care Nurses Association from 1982-1985.
Dr. Rothrock has served, or is currently serving, on the following Professional Committees:
• Oregon Heart Association: Board of Directors – Member
• Oregon Heart Association: Nutrition Subcommittee – Chairman
• Tuality Hospital: Internal Medicine – Chairman
• Tuality Hospital: Medical Executive Committee – Member
• Oregon Heart Association: Member
• Sacramento/El Dorado Medical Society: Member
• Mercy San Juan Hospital: Cardiac Services Committee – Chairman
• Mercy Hospitals: Regional Investigational Review Committee – Member
• Yavapai Regional Medical Center: Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee – Member
• Yavapai Regional Medical Center: Cardiac Services Committee – Chairman
Douglas Rothrock and his wife, Nancy, reside in Prescott, Arizona. Dr. Rothrock is a licensed pilot and has often said flying is the best gift his father imparted to him. In addition to their professional careers, Doug and Nancy enjoy organic gardening, scuba diving, photography, and boating. They also enjoy using their time and resources by being involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and helping to support and mentor children in our community.